Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
You need a factory service manual. No sense in determining drainage or the right size of the pot without checking specs in the manual first.
 

trek97

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
irk miller said:
You need a factory service manual. No sense in determining drainage or the right size of the pot without checking specs in the manual first.
+1. ha
 

goodoltup

Member
Front fender arrived today. I will NOT place the fender that high off the tire, I just stuck some foam under there to take a picture before being called in for dinner. I was just trying to see how the radius matched. I'll have a think about how to mount the fender, it will be a challenge. You can see from the second picture that there are only 3 holes on the lower fork leg where a mount can be placed, and they are all kind of close together.
 

Attachments

goodoltup

Member
Inside of the fuel pump, in case you're interested. I had to determine which of the terminals was positive so I didn't hook up the pump to run backwards.
 

Attachments

goodoltup

Member
Big day! The bike runs. I put the wiring harness in temporarily, hooked the fuel pump up to a remote reservoir, installed all accessories and sub-harnesses, and made it run. I just wanted a baseline before I start cutting the wiring harness. The harness is not too bad, only a few things need to be relocated. One of the computers can live under the tank, that is good. The fuse box must be relocated about 40cm, the starter relay 45cm, and a few odds and ends need to be moved as well. Those are the big ones, though. I will start that soon.
 

Attachments

goodoltup

Member
Got into the wire harness today. Just did some planning and cutting in preparation for the relocating. I found a few more things to relocate, like the ambient air pressure sensor, blinker relay, and diode. These are currently located in the headlight shell, but I will have a lot less space than the stock configuration due to using a 7" round headlight. So I will relocate them under the seat. I will use Spec 44, tin plated copper wire to do any replacement or repairs. It's the good stuff. I will also solder in two different resistors, in place of the Secondary Air System solenoid and the fuel evap solenoid. I've read about these on 690 forums. Interestingly, my bike had both systems removed, but the plugs were just left empty, no resistors or dongles or anything, and the FI light was not on. Maybe it had been remapped? When the bike is remapped you can just delete the part of the program that uses those systems, maybe that is what has happened. I will install the resistors anyway. This bike also has a gear position sensor for N, 2, and 3. When in 2nd and 3rd gear, evidently for noise reduction, the map takes (supposedly) 20% power away. My bike had this system disabled. I will enable it. If for some reason I feel like I need more power in 2nd or 3rd, maybe I will do a back-to-back test with the old seat-of-the-pants dynamometer.
 

Attachments

goodoltup

Member
All tidied at this point. The harness is now back on the bike and going through testing. It fires up, no FI light, so far so good. Just have to test all the safety systems and switches, horn, lights, etc. Then I will remove the harness again and wrap it. Then I can finish mounting all the electrical bits like the solenoid, computers, sensors etc.
 

Attachments

goodoltup

Member
New exhaust. I went with a company called Lextek. It was pretty cheap, £99, but it looks to be very high quality. It is reassuringly heavy, has good welds, and uses a pretty thick gauge stainless. The baffle is removable, and is a straight shot through. If it is too loud I may weld the baffle to have less of a direct route. I also ordered a link pipe that is of the correct diameter. This may need to be shortened or welded, we'll see.
 

Attachments

goodoltup

Member
Hi cbrianroll,
My eBay name is jptupper, I will post here when I am ready to start unloading parts on auction. What is it you are after, I can tell you now if I still have it.
 

cbrianroll

Member
Kinda want it all lol! I have a Duke 390 that's gonna get more offroad freindly hopefully. Not sure if the wheels will swap but I will need spoked wheels maybe the fork. At this point I'm thinking just handguards.
 

goodoltup

Member
The harness is complete and all taped up. I used Tesa 19mm fuzzy tape. It looks really good. Admittedly I went a little overboard, as you cannot see hardly any wire insulator colors in the finished harness, but it does look really tidy. The harness is now back on the bike and the fiddly bit begins of securing all the harness tails to the frame and injector, and mounting all the ancillary bits like the starter solenoid, computers, and other sensors. But at least all components now have a credible plan of where and how they will be placed. Still some temporary cables on there for testing purposes, of course.
I had a chance to start the bike up and listen to the new pipe, wow, that is too loud. I will be fitting a db killer of some kind, the straight through design does absolutely nothing. It didn't even sound good, just loud and blatty. I will link to a movie maybe to show the sound difference when I am done.
 

Attachments

SONICJK

Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
This is looking so good.
I can't wait to see it all finished up
get to work!
 

Maritime

Active Member
Nice clean job on the wiring. Hope there are no shorts to have to trace LOL. But from the looks of it you should be good.
 
Top Bottom