The KTM, as purchased, had been remapped at some point. It had a free-flowing exhaust, no changes to the airbox or filter, and the O2 sensor didn't seem to work. So who knows what map was loaded in the ECU. I've found the bike snatchy on the low end, and surgey on low rpm steady throttle.
I got TuneECU and a cable, watched a YouTube video, and loaded a map. Just to see if really worked, I loaded a pretty extreme map, the stock restricted HP version that some bikes came with originally. It is around 33 hp as opposed to 63 hp unrestricted. I figured I could tell the difference easily, and then could move on to using other custom maps or modifying an existing map for my purposes. It all went well, and the map was loaded and I went for a test ride. I actually really liked it! It's not so violent, and more manageable in town. Much more tame. I probably won't leave it like this, but it's good to know.
Maybe I could get an ECU and harness for an Enduro model, they have a switch to engage 3 different maps. I could have a low hp one, and some full power ones. A switch on the handlebars could be added. Worth considering!