Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

Jimbonaut

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
That's fierce. Are some test centres more - ahem - lenient than others? You poke around Quebec long enough and a guy'll be surprised what he uncovers...
 

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Plate attached, road grime acquired! I took it for a few test rides, but the roads are still damp at best, and the temperature outside is still quite cold. I had one moment where the back end stepped out a bit when I gave it too much coming out of a slow corner, that was enough to make me VERY cautious for the rest of the ride. I won't be able to actually give it some stick until at least March. But, in the times that I could get on it, I was very impressed. It is VERY quick. It doesn't care what gear you are in or how low the revs are, it just pulls. It is savage. Just what I wanted.
Note that the zip-tie telltale shows that it very nearly bottoms out. This was a pretty normal ride with no wheelies or panic stops, and it is still only 20mm from the end of the fork bottom.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5519.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 24

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Shifter is sorted. I took the stock shift pedal and bent it in a vice to shorten it some, and removed some material from the sprocket cover to eliminate interference. It is around 140mm on centre from the peg, whereas my CD175 is 130mm. I think this is just about right, it feels good under my boot and has good action. Last two pictures show how close it is to the frame rail and the sprocket cover in up and down positions.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5522.jpg
    IMG_5522.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5523.jpg
    IMG_5523.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5524.jpg
    IMG_5524.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5525.jpg
    IMG_5525.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5526.jpg
    IMG_5526.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 26

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
I thought it was getting loud! The fibreglass was completely smooshed up against the end of the baffle and not doing anything. This will need a rethink.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5527.jpg
    IMG_5527.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 34

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
New idea for the exhaust. I took two of the cheapo exhaust db killer inserts and turned them back to back, and made a connector between them. Now the exhaust must enter the perforated tube, go through steel mesh (kitchen scrubby) go back through the perf tube, and then exit the muffler. In the diagram the black lines are perf tube and the orange lines are solid. I tried it out and it IS quiet, but there must be a ton of back pressure. I'll see on the next test ride if it responds ok.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 12.27.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 12.27.18.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5552.jpg
    IMG_5552.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5553.jpg
    IMG_5553.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5554.jpg
    IMG_5554.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5555.jpg
    IMG_5555.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 17

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
New idea for rear brake. The pedal originally pivoted around the footpeg, and the mounting location of the master resulted in an actuating lever that was too long, and the brake had a wooden feel with almost no travel. I could either move the master or move the pivot, I chose move the pivot. Instead of pivoting around the footpeg, now it will pivot around the boss shown. This will make the actuating lever 35mm, which matches what it was on the KTM.
 

Attachments

  • E1E8FD73-3A5D-4196-9BEB-D8D18FCF0E7B.JPG
    E1E8FD73-3A5D-4196-9BEB-D8D18FCF0E7B.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 17

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Additionally, it will pivot on a needle bearing and shoulder bolt, as seen below.
 

Attachments

  • 26BF66FE-0BE8-4360-99F4-C89CEFA022BA.JPG
    26BF66FE-0BE8-4360-99F4-C89CEFA022BA.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 19

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
The threaded boss that was made (by my neighbour with his new lathe) overlapped with the frame tube by about 50%, so something needed to be done. Steps as follows:
1. Make a pig's ear of the frame
2. Weld it up and hide the shame.
Looks fine in the end, really. A little weld dressing and paint and no one will ever notice.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5556.jpg
    IMG_5556.jpg
    808.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5557.jpg
    IMG_5557.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5558.jpg
    IMG_5558.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5559.jpg
    IMG_5559.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 18

pidjones

Over 1,000 Posts
Make darn sure all of the exhaust parts are secure. I found that a GL1000 will rip 3/16 pop rivets right out if they are restricting it. The two big washers mounted 1" behind the baffle in my shorties are laying in a ditch somewhere.
 

DTT Bike Of The Month Gallery

DTT Light or Dark

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
shop.themotoworks.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com
www.speedmotoco.com
www.lostapostle.ca/
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom