Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

Side note, I replaced my 20 year old Felo screwdrivers with a new Wera set. I absolutely love them, highly recommend.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 36
Clutch, alternator, waterpump, and valve covers removed, internals stripped, cleaned, and ready to be vapour blasted. I wrapped the engine up in cling film for protection.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 29
I revised the side stand switch mounting. I'll epoxy the magnet on the end of the stalk shown in the pictures, and make a final bracket to hold the sensor. This will look a lot better.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 38
The frame has been dropped off for blasting/powder coat! A big day indeed.

Frame and sidestand - Grit blasted, primed, powder coated (gun-metal grey)
Swingarm - vapour blasted, clear coated (Cerakote H)
Alternator, clutch, water pump, and cam covers - vapour blasted, clear coated (Cerakote H)

Lead time 3 weeks, £250 total. Well pleased with that. The guy essentially specialises in motorbikes so he really gets it, knows what to look out for and what to mask off, etc.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
To improve the look of the speedo cluster I added milliput to the lower half. Pics below show the milliput after application. After drying I will sand it to refine the shape, and paint it matte black.
I did some sanding already but didn't take pictures, it was a messy and fussy process. Updates to follow.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Small update, as I wait for the frame and wheels I started refinishing the parts that are immediately needed to make a rolling chassis. Mostly just beadblasting, wire brushing, and then clear coating or painting. This weekend I should plan on scraping engine gaskets and preparing for the newly refinished covers.
I'm really holding my breath on the frame colour choice, I hope that the gunmetal grey powder coat I chose will be dark enough for my liking. I almost called the guy and told him just to do black, but I'm holding fast. I hope it looks good.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Ok the frame has been powder coated. The colour is in fact a little lighter than I was hoping for, but still very nice. I had the swingarm and engine covers vapour blasted and clear coated, which in hindsight maybe worked better when I was envisioning a black frame. Now I have two different colour greys, and black wheels. Maybe I should get the rims vapour blasted too, we'll see.
I dropped off the wheels at the local Kawasaki shop, and they've had some trouble getting the Dunlop TT100GP tyres that I want. This is currently the hold up.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Painted the bits. Gunmetal grey spray paint was a surprisingly good match to the powder coat frame. The other bits were just scotchbrighted and clear coated.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom