We noticed you are blocking ads. DO THE TON only works with community supporters. Most are active members of the site with small businesses. Please consider disabling your ad blocking tool and checking out the businesses that help keep our site up and free.
had to make a seat base, ready for when the shaping of the foam takes place. Strips of masking tape to get the shape then transferred this to some 1mm alloy sheet. Knocked up a couple of bobbins to secure it to the frame and fixed in place. Also layered in some more GRP to give it a bit more rigidity
As we know....70's Japanese bikes were still a little rough around the edges....a bit like the Chinese stuff of today. So I set about tidying up some of the welds and brackets, filling in here and there, ready for the powder coating stage.
Onto the wheels. I decided to remove the valanced ally rim as I prefer a more conventional looking rim so secured a random Takasago rim off eBay that would do the job. Whilst I was cutting out the hub, I wanted to reduce the "bulky" looking slab by adding some details, pure aesthetic just break it up a bit. Few dimples which should look half decent when its powder-coated and machined back.
Searched high and low locally for some decent material to use as foam padding but most of the stuff available was for sofas etc, so after securing a few bits and pieces and trying it for comfort it was still too soft..............then after I had a tripped over just the right material...my old car work mat sacrificed itself. So I bonded it all together and set about shaping it to the desired form.