Jeez, dude... Care? Did I say anything about caring? Man, some people, give 'em an inch and they take a mile! Care!?!? Bah, humbug! ;Dtrek97 said:Ill pick up a carbon monoxide detector. thanks for caring guys.
No panic here... I guess my shop is well sealed because I absolutely have to open a window or the door a bit or else the fumes get pretty strong and headache-causing within a few minutes after lighting it up. It heats up pretty well, though and a slow turning ceiling fan keeps the heat circulated fairly evenly.irk miller said:Most garages aren't air tight enough to have to worry too much, anyway. ...but the panic in this tread is a little much.
Sorry, yes, propane produces mainly CO2 but this can kill you too, I wouldn't take a chance. People have even died in drafty tents when using heaters like this. Better to be proactive and have a good margin of safety, follow manufacturers recommendations.irk miller said:Most garages aren't air tight enough to have to worry too much, anyway. I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Propane appliance are set to run at ideal burn, which produces very little, to no CO. Ideal burn is 1:24 propane to air. CO is produced by incomplete combustion of the propane, so if the unit is lean or rich CO occurs. You need to reach more than 70ppm of CO to start to feel effects, so I think even a slightly drafty garage and a brand new, well made propane heater will be just fine. You should always have a CO detector whenever propane or natural gas is your heat source, but the panic in this tread is a little much. I run my kilns off of propane and intentionally throw them into reduction (rich) and somehow I still live, breath and walk.