Yamaha rd350 Road Racer Liquid Cooled!!

jpmobius

where does this go?
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

This is a GREAT idea! Indeed, I have done this very thing myself. Do yourself a favor though - make the center point of all your adjustability based on the stock kinematics. In other words, do the simple step of measuring the stock crank arms and levers and build your trial set with these ratios as your mid point. I expect would likely discover as I did, that you can spend a lot of time fooling around with adjustments if you just do a dart throw. If you start with a known scheme it is much easier to make changes with a purpose. You may also find that having the adjustability has an even more valuable use than getting the function to be good: Having good adjustability likely will make it possible to alter the ergonomics for a much more comfortable and therefor much more functional set up.
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Got my rearset parts back from my waterjet guy (thanks dad! ) the actual mounts are probably, er hopefully, permanent items, but as stated before, the levers with all the holes are just for mockup. Once I get the angles and lengths set, I'll get a set cut at a permanent angle. Also, BMX pegs are mockup only (thanks Cory) I'm really planning on trying to incorporate the stock rubber fold up pegs, and maybe try to make it look like a "factory Yamaha" type setup that you "could have gotten from the dealer" back in the day.







 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

I like the BMX pegs. I want something like that. Not sure what bike, but it's a neato idea.
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

deviant said:
I like the BMX pegs. I want something like that. Not sure what bike, but it's a neato idea.
I like them too, I just like the idea of fold up pegs more haha cheap insurance if I get this thing a bit low once in a while lol
ridesolo said:
Lookin good, buddy!
Thanks Cory!
 

yorkie350

If it runs ride it if it dont polish it & dream !
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Great idea with the rearsets turned out nice plenty of adjustment to play with and ime a +1on fold up pegs too like you say cheap insurance in the twisty bits
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Did a little work on some knicks that were on the front high shoulder rim.




A little dremel work too prep for welding


And tig welded in some matl to file back down.

 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Not perfect, but with some filing, dremel work and wet sanding, they it is fine. Not bad for a 15 dollar high shoulder rim and some elbow grease.
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Kinda in a lull on this one. I've been trying to sell anything I can to raise money for this thing so I can buy some parts and keep this rolling.

New crank (or rebuild) is a must, pretty much set on a new drop in unit from vito

Pisons and bore, planning on running pro x modified banshee.

Gonna buy a used set of banshee manifolds with a cross over tube. Having a hard time finding specs if my stock carbs will be the same size though.

Y boot with k&n filter

And, I opened up my stator cover to see this

Super crusty.

Really contemplating buying this and being done with it instead if trying to piece together a whole different used system. Any of you guys familiar with this system or are currently running it?

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/mzb-cdi-electronic-igntion-for-yamaha-rd250350400r5ds7-street-version/
 

teazer

Well-Known Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Oh dear. That's a bit crusty, to be polite.

Good crank with all new seals is a must have and I like your choice of pistons and carbs.

I made the silly mistake of looking at a Banshee motor to drop into an RD frame for drag racing and that took me to 421 cub kits and long stroke cranks and Oh My that stuff is not cheap. Nice to look at and dream about but spendy. The Vito's cranks are remarkably cost effective compared to rebuilding an old crank, after you factor in new rod kits and bearings plus assembly labor and you still have an old crank that may have been revved too hard. That said, I have never bought a NEW crank. I have had a few rebuilt over the years by different people. before you buy a crank, call around and see what the cost would be to get a professional crank rebuild from a specialist shop.
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

teazer said:
Oh dear. That's a bit crusty, to be polite.

Good crank with all new seals is a must have and I like your choice of pistons and carbs.

I made the silly mistake of looking at a Banshee motor to drop into an RD frame for drag racing and that took me to 421 cub kits and long stroke cranks and Oh My that stuff is not cheap. Nice to look at and dream about but spendy. The Vito's cranks are remarkably cost effective compared to rebuilding an old crank, after you factor in new rod kits and bearings plus assembly labor and you still have an old crank that may have been revved too hard. That said, I have never bought a NEW crank. I have had a few rebuilt over the years by different people. before you buy a crank, call around and see what the cost would be to get a professional crank rebuild from a specialist shop.
bill bune is $150 labor + parts for rebuild and true
economy cycle is $580 with parts besides center labyrinth seal (which mine may very well need)
My local guy (mototech usa) is about $130 for labor plus parts
even my local guy at $130 would only leave $270 for parts (comparing it to the $400 vitos unit), which would be cutting it close for new bearings, seals and conrods I would think.

also will stock rd carbs fit into stock banshee manifold?
 

teazer

Well-Known Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Lab seals rarely wear out.

Yes on the manifolds. I used them on a couple of RD projects years ago. Jetting may change slightly in the midrange IIRC but pipes and filters will have more impact that the balance tube.
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

teazer said:
Lab seals rarely wear out.

Yes on the manifolds. I used them on a couple of RD projects years ago. Jetting may change slightly in the midrange IIRC but pipes and filters will have more impact that the balance tube.
honestly not super familiar with lab seals, but ive heard that they rarely go bad. I am just concerned about the overall shape of the crank. pretty sure that there had been water in the crank, and the whole thing may be crusty. ill find out once I finally get this top end apart and get the cases split.

Thanks for the info on the banshee boots!
 

clem

static fluff
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Hey man I've got the MZB on my DS7. It was an easy install, the wiring is not that hard to figure out. I have run without the battery as well. PM me if you need any help, I hate typing after work hours.
I also ordered some .75mm over prox banshee pistons Friday to find out that they are back ordered everywhere. They should come available mid September.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer



clem said:
Hey man I've got the MZB on my DS7. It was an easy install, the wiring is not that hard to figure out. I have run without the battery as well. PM me if you need any help, I hate typing after work hours.
I also ordered some .75mm over prox banshee pistons Friday to find out that they are back ordered everywhere. They should come available mid September.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app
Thanks man, Will probably take you up on that. My two weakest points are electrical and paint, and since this isn't getting a paint job per say (leaving the fairing as is) that just leaves electrical as my biggest pain at this point. I'm really planning super minimalist on the electrical on this, headlight tail/ brake lights and turn signals with a kill switch and hoping no battery. Definitely no dummy lights or any of that.

I am still a little ways away from ordering pistons so hopefully it won't be bad when it gets to that point, and my jugs are stock bore, so .25 over should do it hopefully. I think there are a few sets of those on feebay right now
 

jpmobius

where does this go?
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

I like the MZB as well (making an assumption - link seems not to work for me). Can verify the Rz manifolds to work fine but have not seen distinct benefit with the cross over tube. Certainly no downside in my experience though. I like the pro-x banshee pistons too. MZB is great for no battery. I really like the OEM Banshee set up for ignition but it requires a custom crank - not bad if you are building new already. Super reliable. Check with your machinist before ordering pistons. If you do only one modification, re-machine the heads and cylinder tops and use o-rings instead of the copper gaskets.
 

teazer

Well-Known Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

try this: https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/mzb-cdi-electronic-igntion-for-yamaha-rd250350400r5ds7-street-version/
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

teazer said:
try this: https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/mzb-cdi-electronic-igntion-for-yamaha-rd250350400r5ds7-street-version/
For some reason, tapatalk doesn't like to open that link, but a regular browser (chrome in my case) will
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the ditches
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

Been doing some reading on gasket matching. Any of you guys done it? Is it worth doing? Any real benefits seen from it on rd's?
 
Top Bottom