YZF750/1000R - The Fly

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
No thanks. I have a street cafe race project and a full on racer for sale. And that's to clear space so I can get the 200cc 180 crank motor done. Too many CB160 spare parts and projects already. So what do you have? street or race?
 

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
That's cool. Unfortunately it costs more or lass as much to restore a small bike as a big one and people seem to think they should be cheap. Do we see you racing a CB160 at AHRMA events soon?
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
Well, the deeper I got into this harness, it's crap. I'm going to have to swap the harness out from the 97'. Same with the exhaust header and cooling system. More work than I hoped but at least I have the stuff.
 

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
And that is how we justify having spare bikes taking up space.

I can just hear that conversation with the other half. Honey. See how much I saved us by having a spare bike - that I am now spending more money on, so that's more saved........

That's what I say - or words to that effect. The more stuff I have, the more I must be saving us.
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
teazer said:
And that is how we justify having spare bikes taking up space.

I can just hear that conversation with the other half. Honey. See how much I saved us by having a spare bike - that I am now spending more money on, so that's more saved........

That's what I say - or words to that effect. The more stuff I have, the more I must be saving us.
Ha. My supportive wife has heard all my best "reasons" but mostly she's thinking .. "finally he's doing something with those piles....." :)

I'm getting a ton of old stuff off this bike. It's also filthy. All the harness and cooling has been removed and set aside. Doing the same to the 97' wreck is next. And of course cleaning.
 

Attachments

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
Now its just sorting, a ton of cleaning (least favorite part) and a little paint here and there. I also found more differences in the two models than most of the online stuff I found suggested.

https://youtu.be/kWvmCvm_m0M
 

Attachments

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
clem said:
Are you going to strip down the electrical side of things since it will be track only?
That's my big question of the moment. I haven't decided yet. I'm not going to run stock lights, I know that.

I have some questions for you guys who have done track day coaching. I'm thinking about wiring up two small separate brake lights, one for front brake switch and one for the rear. If a coach was following me they could tell which brake and when I'm braking for a turn. Does that make sense? I'd rig a cut-out switch so I could kill all the lights as well. Would that be cool or am I overthinking it?

I've decided to leave the signal wiring in place but not to install actual signal lights. The stock front headlight is pretty heavy. If I do a headlight, it'll be an endurance style headlight setup like Eddie Lawson's YZF750 at Suzuka 8hr.
 

Attachments

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
If it were me, I would remove all street lights and components. No one uses the rear brake much at the track unless it's to keep the front wheel down or to settle the bike entering a turn likes say turn 5 at Grattan after the hump when the front end is light and needs to rotate down. On most corners, the front brake is squeezed lightly and then stronger and the rear end is almost/slightly off the track surface.

In the wet it's different. Then the rear brake is more useful. Indicators, headlights and brake lights aren't needed unless your track day people say they want one.
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
teazer said:
If it were me, I would remove all street lights and components. No one uses the rear brake much at the track unless it's to keep the front wheel down or to settle the bike entering a turn likes say turn 5 at Grattan after the hump when the front end is light and needs to rotate down. On most corners, the front brake is squeezed lightly and then stronger and the rear end is almost/slightly off the track surface.
In the wet it's different. Then the rear brake is more useful. Indicators, headlights and brake lights aren't needed unless your track day people say they want one.
Hmm.
See, this is where I'm having trouble deciding. I'm considering setting it up as a very track focused "barely" street legal bike. I would likely then sell the oem street 94' and just keep this one. ( I can only keep so many...) My reasoning is that I'll want to ride it more than just a few days a year on the track. These things are a freaking blast.
 

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Now that's a different scenario. So you get an Airtech race fairing with no lights and you put those very nineties Lockhart Phillips turn signals on the sides of the stock fairing all wired with quick disconnect weatherproof connectors. At the rear you mount the rear fender (if you keep it) license plate mounts and turn signals - oh and the tail lamp all on one QD assembly with one, or at most two, weatherproof connectors.

Use the same stock design of fairing mounts and use Dzus quarter turn fasteners so that the whole body set and lights can be quickly swapped in as a little time as possible.

OR you just risk stock bodywork and lights getting damaged any time that gravity kicks in harder than usual. And get spare set of fairing brackets because they bend easily.
 

clem

static fluff
DTT BOTM WINNER
Our track here (NOLA) doesn't allow you to have your brake lights wired and working for track days. Check the local rule book.
Most control riders can tell exactly what we are doing by just observing us at our slow speeds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
 

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
You mean like the way the bike pitches forwards when we grab the brakes or the way that our bikes move backwards towards them when we get within about a mile of a corner.....................

If you have ever accelerated hard towards a corner and suddenly the gap to the bike in front is shrinking at the speed of the space shuttle because they are braking too hard too early you will understand that particular phenomenom.
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
teazer said:
You mean like the way the bike pitches forwards when we grab the brakes or the way that our bikes move backwards towards them when we get within about a mile of a corner.....................
If you have ever accelerated hard towards a corner and suddenly the gap to the bike in front is shrinking at the speed of the space shuttle because they are braking too hard too early you will understand that particular phenomena.
Yeah, I suppose I was overthinking it. I got a bunch done over the long weekend on both YZF's though.
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
I got busy last night and this morning and put the YZF back on the road. Oh man I missed this bike. Yeah, one of these will be a hell of a track machine.
 

Attachments

DTT Sponsors

www.dimecitycycles.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers
www.speedmotoco.com
www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com
www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
www.lostapostlejewelry.com
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom