1st time build-1980 Suzuki GS750 Cafe

Wow, this is valuable info. I also have to upgrade my electrical system so all this shared knowledge will surely come in handy... and I am also planning on using a smaller profile battery so that I can run it all under the (to be built) rear seat cowl.

Something like this....

Attachments

• IMG_9634-300x200.jpg
    IMG_9634-300x200.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,115
  • IMG_9390-300x200.jpg
    IMG_9390-300x200.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,064
Is that the tin shack bike? That's my main inspiration for my build. http://www.tinshackrestoration.com/2012/11/18/1979-suzuki-gs-750l-before-after/

That's what I'm currently thinking of now as far as where all this stuff will be mounted. Because the r/r gets hot I was thinking of mounting it upside down above the triangle so it has plenty of air cooling it. Would this be a good idea? Since I don't have a mud flap not sure how all this will work with potential water being flung over the electronics.

Ok, so I have the wire harness out, cleaned and have my upgraded r/r ready to install. So it looks like I'm going to need to extend the wires for the battery, regulator, fuse box, ground, sylanoid, ect. Does anyone know what particular guage wire these are and the best way to extend the wires? Is splicing, solder and heat shrink the best route or spade clips?

Rather than extend the wires, is replacing them a possibility? If extensions are necessary, I prefer to do them with crimped connectors and avoid cutting or soldering. Most of the wires in the stock harness will be 16ga. Some of the thicker ones (usually for the R/R battery and R/R ground connections) may be as thick as 14ga.

I have some new bullet connectors, but would you recommend the below connectors instead?
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/images/4pf-1.JPG

Also, I have the glass style fuse box, would you recommend sticking with that or going to a spade style box?

Ok, so it's getting close. Getting the carbs done this weekend, then brakes and electrical next week (MAC exhuast is on 3 weeks backorder!!)and then I'll see if it actually starts. Good stuff.....so my question is the seat. I have the thruxton seat from DCC
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-chassis-seat-parts-one-up-bumpstop-race-single-seat-legendary-motorcycles-fiberglass-thruxton-abs-plastic-seat-sp1404.html

What seat options are available to be besides the cusion that they suggest on the DCC website? I would like more padding, but not really thick.

Shit, I keep hearing about people having long wait times for Mac exhaust... I guess I better get ordering soon.. I am also looking for Mac for my GS. When did you order your exhaust?

HR

That tin shack build link I attached a couple posts back said he got the MAC and in the comments he mentioned waiting for weeks. I thought maybe that was a one time thing deal, but I called them and he told me the same thing. Those are about the only ones I liked so looks like I'm waiting.

I recently saw a café racer (a GS but I can't remember which thread) where the guy used a Vance and Hines but the end had a really cool exhaust tip that was black.... if I can find it I will link it here. I really looked good. The black tip was horizontally level and in counterpoint to the rising angle of the exhaust muffler/cone/baffle. It made me second guess my idea about the MAC exhaust. I still haven't come around to the idea of chrome exhaust yet though.

HolyRoller said:
I recently saw a café racer (a GS but I can't remember which thread) where the guy used a Vance and Hines but the end had a really cool exhaust tip that was black.... if I can find it I will link it here. I really looked good. The black tip was horizontally level and in counterpoint to the rising angle of the exhaust muffler/cone/baffle. It made me second guess my idea about the MAC exhaust. I still haven't come around to the idea of chrome exhaust yet though.

From your description, are you sure it wasn't the Kerker / Super-trapp set-up on mine?

Attachments

• exhaust.JPG
    exhaust.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,035
Hey! Maybe it was... very cool exhaust! I will have to do a little looking into Kerker. I have a been a little put off by the fact that it seems the only options for older GS models are either Mac or V&H (though these are beautiful 4-1 examples). I would love to have something a little different.

Hoosier, did you buy that Kerker used? Are the headers also made by Kerker/Super-Trapp?

HolyRoller said:
Hoosier, did you buy that Kerker used? Are the headers also made by Kerker/Super-Trapp?
Kerker headers and Super-Trapp mufflers were in kahoots back then... (and now).
Lets take the rest to your thread instead of clogging up this members with discussion on what you want... ;)

claygs750 said:
Ok, so it's getting close. Getting the carbs done this weekend, then brakes and electrical next week (MAC exhuast is on 3 weeks backorder!!)and then

Hey Clay... are you doing the wiring yourself?

Yea, saving it for the very end since I have no idea. Just bought a Polris R/R and LED flasher so I think I have everything ready to wire up. Not sure how to extend the wires back to the hump, but looks like I'll have to figure it out. Almost done. I'm shooting for 3 weeks around the time the exhaust will get here.

I will be following your thread closely, as I have no idea as well! I am about 8 months from wiring I think. I still have a complete engine rebuild and most of the frame to assemble.

I will likely be asking you all kinds of questions on this stuff!

Hey that's cool. I've not had many setbacks for being my first time so I've been thankful there. Keep in mind I did no engine work so I know my limitations! That's not saying that when all this is over and I go to start it I won't be ripping into the engine because it won't start so I'm crossing my fingers. Without this forum and the GS it would probably still be sitting on the garage floor with me pounding my head on the table confused. :)

Ok, so I just got done with the brakes and only thing left to do is put the wire harness on and start mounting everything. During this time IF I send the tank and rear fender out for paint I need to do it now. My question is I'm on the fence with my current gas tank. I like it, but then it's pretty big for a café style build. What do you guys think? Any suggestions of a better looking tank with not much modifications?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    833.7 KB · Views: 280
Hey, great work 8) the suzuki gs850 fueltank might be an option? It`s abit smaller and more "cafe" style i think. That said i think your tank looks great on that bike.

stramvaier said:
Hey, great work 8) the suzuki gs850 fueltank might be an option? It`s abit smaller and more "cafe" style i think. That said i think your tank looks great on that bike.

Depends which 850 model - the G tank is huge (about 6 gallons) while the GL tank is much smaller (maybe 4 gallons?). Either way Clay, I vote for your current tank. It already fits, has a great shape, and is free since you have it!

Back
Top Bottom