1974 CB360 Fallin' Ditch Hell Ride

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
I got the Suzuki rim laced up to the 360 hub. Now we're 18in and aluminum front and back, wrapped in 120/80-18 Shinko 705 tires. The hope is this setup will be good on sandy or deep gravel back country and swamp roads., which makes up the bulk of country roads around here. As soon as the brake parts come in, I'll start the dual disc front end conversion. Also mulling rear disc...




Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
The brake plan is duel disc up front and disc rear. I also want rid of the thousand pound, undrilled stock rotor up front. Through some searching, I discovered that the CB's disc rivet pattern is the same as an EX500 bolt pattern. So, I separated the stock disc from its center...



Drilled out the holes and tapped them for 8mm X 1.25, so I can use the EX screws. Machined the centering tabs to accept the smaller EX center hole...



Bolted together...






Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
No metal stock over 4" in house, so I cut the end off a 360 hub and converted it into a rear disc carrier...




Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Sderbyshire

Into Sailing, classic Triumph cars and motorbikes.
Really liking what you've done so far with the front disk.

I'm contemplating something similar for my 360 cafe, but my engineering skills aren't as good as yours I suspect!

Is the ex500 disk the same diameter, so will work with the standard 360 caliper?

If so that looks like a great mod, either single or especially double!

Steve
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Sderbyshire said:
Really liking what you've done so far with the front disk.

I'm contemplating something similar for my 360 cafe, but my engineering skills aren't as good as yours I suspect!

Is the ex500 disk the same diameter, so will work with the standard 360 caliper?

If so that looks like a great mod, either single or especially double!

Steve
Thanks Steve. It really only takes removing the rivets (a grinder will do it), a punch to kick them out, a decent drill press to slightly open the holes, and a tap.

It'll take a special bracket for the calipers to fit a 360 front end, though. The EX rotor is 20mm larger. But since I converted the front end to CB750, I can use the stock CB750 calipers. The 750 rotors are within a half cm of the EX. It takes very little effort to swap the front end.
 

Sderbyshire

Into Sailing, classic Triumph cars and motorbikes.
deviant said:
Thanks Steve. It really only takes removing the rivets (a grinder will do it), a punch to kick them out, a decent drill press to slightly open the holes, and a tap.

It'll take a special bracket for the calipers to fit a 360 front end, though. The EX rotor is 20mm larger. But since I converted the front end to CB750, I can use the stock CB750 calipers. The 750 rotors are within a half cm of the EX. It takes very little effort to swap the front end.
Thanks for that useful info!

Next big job on the 360 is a front end upgrade, 33mm forks are way too flexible!

I believe the 750 front end fits, but is longer than the 450/550 so these are more suitable and still 35mm with the option for dual disks?
This combined with your ex rotors is my preferred option right now.
Do you know if the 450/550 have the larger or smaller rotors ?
Thanks for the advice!

Steve
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Sderbyshire said:
I believe the 750 front end fits, but is longer than the 450/550 so these are more suitable and still 35mm with the option for dual disks?

Do you know if the 450/550 have the larger or smaller rotors ?
Steve
I think they are 270mm. You'd have to confirm. They look the same and have the same bolt pattern as the 750.
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Got the other disc done, so now we're dual up front. Sourcing the rear disc is harder than I thought, but I've managed to narrow one down to an NSR250rr/VFR400/RFV400. I have a range of 4 X 105 - 110 and those come in at 4 X 110.



Light mock ups ensue: This could be the first time I run a stock light in years...



But first we'll look at a Blaster jawn...



Looks like someone died a strange death...






Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

adventurco

Nick Ol' Eye
DTT BOTM WINNER
Dude that thing is gonna do front flips with dual discs!... I barely have to touch my front brake to stop the 360 ;D
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
adventurco said:
Dude that thing is gonna do front flips with dual discs!... I barely have to touch my front brake to stop the 360 ;D
Hahaha. I'll be like those trick riders doing endos and shit.
 

DTT Sponsors

www.dimecitycycles.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers
www.speedmotoco.com
www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com
www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
www.lostapostlejewelry.com
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom