1974 CB360 Fallin' Ditch Hell Ride

bvander

Gold Coast, Queensland
I need a cush drive, thinking of using a front hub as a rear. I will be very interested to see what you come up with.
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Here's what we have so far...





4 bolt pattern for the disc and 5 bolt pattern for the cush. I'll cast 85A urethane with threaded inserts to fit the hub. Fortunately, the hubs are webbed to set up nicely...



And with an NSR disc...



The hub side is machined to fit over the center of the hub, the brake side center is machined for a 52mm X 17mm X 15mm bearing plus dust seal. Bearing and urethane on order, and hopefully will show up this week.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

trek97

No Custom Title
DTT BOTM WINNER
Im still not seeing it. Youre gonna fit the 5 body drilled holes for bolts toooo where?
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
trek97 said:
Im still not seeing it. Youre gonna fit the 5 body drilled holes for bolts toooo where?
Do you know how a cush drive works? Similar concept, just the brake side.

 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
trek97 said:
OH OK now I get it. Missed filling the cavity w the urethane part. 8)
;) Just using the hub as a mold, since it's there. I'll get the hardware together on the carrier, mix and pour the urethane and let it set. It'll pop out and have the shape of the interior of the hub. The hub is held tight by the axle, so it really just needs to be held from spinning.
 

doc_rot

Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
that carrier is sweet! seems like a prime opportunity for some cool pocketing.
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Thanks, Doc. I agree.


Time for front caliper mounts while I wait for stuff to finish the rear. I ground away some of the CB750s fork lower and drilled/tapped through the stock mount. I'm running a bracket topside through that hole plus the fender brace hole. This is a functional mockup, as I want to be able to run it to test, but later mill it in alloy. I cut and shaped the bracket in 1/4" steel plate, plus machined two 25mm spacers to offset the caliper, which will get welded in place...








Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Fresh and clean so far, with recall tensioner. Light spalling on the cam and rocker pads. But it's wet up there, which is a good thing...




Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

crazypj

Split personality, I fake being smart
Looks real good in there, are you doing oil mods so it stays that way?
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
I think this thing is fucking with me. Perhaps the best way to store a vehicle for long periods of time is in some rednecks yard, on it's side, clutch side down. The clutch looks good, and soaked in oil. There's a little sludge, but not a lot, in the oil slinger and the bottom of the case. ISO: CJ360 pickup. The gasket popped right off and looks nearly brand new. Go figure...






Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
The biggest question mark so far. The cylinder walls look good and the compression was as it should be for a low mileage bike. However, the pistons look moist, so oil may have skewed my reading...






Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER




Since the GL is timed on 90 degrees like the 360, I'm trying to adapt a GL Dyna to this 360. I trimmed the Dyna backing plate down to 62mm, machined a socket screw down to give the sensor clearance, ovaled the center hole on a washer, and grooved the base of the right sensor. All because the right sensor covered the right fastener. Next, I'll trim down the reluctor to match the 360 cam...




Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

crazypj

Split personality, I fake being smart
Personally I didn't have very good luck with Dyna, it failed on the 'rear' pick up after about 3 months. It was the earlier version though so maybe your results will be better?
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
crazypj said:
Personally I didn't have very good luck with Dyna, it failed on the 'rear' pick up after about 3 months. It was the earlier version though so maybe your results will be better?
Let's hope so. I wonder if heat is a culprit to failure. I have two versions for a CB750- a newer and older version. Both still do well. If this doesn't work, then there will be a version 2 made from the sensors out a Toyota 22re distributor and a GM HEI module.
 

cxman

Active Member
DTT SUPPORTER
i dont have dyna on any air cooled motors but in my gold wings they are rock solid i have one on a 75 that was bought

when they first came out i think 1980
 

irk miller

You've been mostly-dead all day.
DTT BOTM WINNER
Finished up the rear hub. Faced the front off the Honda bearing retainer to press in the dust seal and filled the hub with 85a urethane. 5 100mm cap screws are inset in the carrier with shoulder bolts cast into the urethane. On the front end, I'm thinking I'll drop to single disc. Plenty of stop and I'm a bit concerned on losing the gain I've made in weight loss. I'd rather go less on the unsprung weight of two calipers and discs...








Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 
Top Bottom