The motor is now assembled with fresh rings, gaskets and valve stem seals. The clutch plates all measured within spec, so I threw that all back together as it was. I also removed the neutral sending unit completely, as the nuts are known to fall out causing catastrophic issues and I'm not running dummy lights anyways. @irk miller
did a great job with the vapor hone work as always. This thing should be ready to drop in when the time comes, which is hopefully sooner than later!
I also whittled away at a block of aluminum to make a petcock adapter for the aluminum Elsinore tank to go accept a 1/8 27 npt to 1/4" barb 90 degree fuel valve.
I also got a little nostalgic with a detail on the motor. About 8 years ago, they were remodeling at the school, and they tore out a section of the lockers, and in that section was the locker that I was assigned for the two years that I was a student there. Before they threw them in the scrap hopper, I grabbed a drill and popped off the tag for my locker, number 1141. I thought "I'll use it someday", which is also why I have a garage full of stuff, but I digress.
Well, I found a use for it. Someone at some point had carelessly used a hammer to beat a likely sized starter out of the case, leaving a bunch of ugly marks. I dug the tag out of the junk drawer, cleaned it up, formed it to fit and used high temp rtv silicone to cover up the spot. Seems a fitting homage, as that school is where I learned to weld and fabricate which it how I was able to build the bike, and now my students in the same program have been helping to finish it up. Unfortunately, the acetone I used to clean the excess rtv also took off the letters, but they are still stamped into the plate. They don't photograph well, but they are still there.