Brat/rat first chop

SquidHunter

Member
I use an ultrasonic with Pine Sol. LOL. The best thing about the ultrasonic, besides the fact that they work, is that you can walk away and do other stuff while the machine does the work.

On an engine that's in frame, or complete that you're not taking apart to clean piece by piece, I use S100. Nothing in the world cleans better than that stuff. Be careful, though. It works so well, you'll get addicted to cleaning stuff with it and want to use it on everything.
Lol. I’ll proceed with caution sir. Thanks for the tip. Yeah, ultra sonic is awesome. When I cleaned my cb750 carbs I used something else other than pinesol. I can’t remember what it was and I asked the guy who gave it to me...... he couldn’t remember and said now he uses pinesol. ‍♂

After some measurements on the bike tonight, it looks like my seat is going to be longer than i had imagined. The good news is my wife will be able to ride. The bad news is it’s going to change things up a bit. Now I’m thinking about a short stretch on the swing arm. When I say it, it sounds super ignorant in my head. But when I’m out here with my measuring tape it makes total sense. It should place my stance exactly right, and I believe the damper angle would be improved as well. I know the downside of the mod, but it’s a pretty short wheel base stock. I’ve ridden it on the hi way WOT, and it’s super squirrelly. Obviously I’ll wait until I have the seat in hand, but I’m curious of others experience


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
Raining and stormy here today. Finally got bored with putting together toys and went outside to mess with the bike. Hooked the battery up and with one prime kick and then another she was running. Much smoother this time, but still not perfect. Not a problem. After dealing with the 4 cylinder carbs, I fear no carb. Also, I’m not able to really ride it for a while anyway. I’ll try to post a link of the video I took


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
It is what it is. Some other small parts have been trickling in, but still waiting on the big ones. I’m about to order some electrical bits like a fuse box and headlight. I tried out a 4.5 I have laying around. I’ve been using it for a fog light on my Honda, but it’s a bit too small. I’m going to order a 5.75. Should fill the space a little better. Also measured out the brake lines, and the length I’ll cut off the handle bars. Piddled around really. I am getting a little bit of backfire through the carbs. Still trying to figure that out


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
For sure. I’ve already ordered a new light. I’m going to shorten up the handlebars too.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
How about a street tracker type front number plate with small offset light?
 

SquidHunter

Member
Today’s update: after much thought, and running the bike more, I’ve decided the mystery backfire through the carbs could only be one of two things. Timing or valves. Both pretty simple to check just haven’t yet. It’s less of a backfire and more of a ping. A ping accompanied by puffs through the carbs. It only does it when I rev the engine a little, and it clears up slightly when it warms up. Anyone ever dealt with this? Curious about insight. Doesn’t sound like a carb issue to me.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
Possibly the pilots could be a little clogged. I know it’s a booger to kick start. Definitely not a one kick. The carbs did set up for about six months. I’ll start there. Also, I’ll go ahead and check the others while I’m at it too..... I should have already I just got caught up in everything else.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
Ok, so here’s what I found. Definitely the carbs needed to come off. I disassembled them and took some photos. I’m going to have to read up on the subject to get the mains out, but there was all kinds of junk in the fuel delivery lines. No way that they were functioning properly.
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG



Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
Lots of gas puddled in the intake boots. The floats may need replacing. It could be the petcock, and probably is considering all the junk in the lines. I’ve already got a non vacuum type to replace it with. Now I’m off to pick up some pinesol and carb cleaner.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
I was able to get one pilot jet out. The other has been stripped out by the PO. Any ideas on removing it?

Main jet is 145, and can’t figure out how to remove the needle jets


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
I finally got everything back together. Started much easier. Didn’t get much time to test it out however because I ran out of gas. Too late tonight. I’ll try again tomorrow.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
Came home with a gallon of gas, and fired her up. Started ok. Still pinging, but not as much after warm up. Checked the carb sync and all good enough. Plugged in the timing light, and timing was tweaked a little too much. After adjusting the timing....... wow. Runs really well now. Still going to check the valves, but calling it a win for now.
My exhaust pipes, headlight and tail light will be in Monday. My under seat electronics pan shipped out today. A guy in Austin built it for me and he does amazing work. I can’t wait


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 
Top Bottom