I bought the bike last year, built the seat over the winter and slowly built the bike over the summer.
I am not a big internet poster, and I it took me a while to get the pictures posted online in order to start a thread.
The last pics were from Sept 18th. I got the bike started, but the petcock is leaking like crazy. I ordered one from eBay but it is taking forever to get here.
Yep, it sounds pretty decent. I was worried that it would be real loud with those shorty pipes. I bought them at the Mid Ohio swap meet for $10 and the guy said that they needed re-packing. I have some old packing from a dirtbike silencer that I was going to use, but I didn't get around to it yet.
I used to race a FZR400 in D-superbike and was always put with the vintage racebikes in practice. i kinda feared that that is what this might sound like.
I don't want to start the bike until I get the petcock fixed, the garage stunk like gas for a few days after I got it running the first time.
I have made zero progress on this since the last post other then finally getting the petcock rebuild kit in. I bought one on eBay using paypal and somehow the transaction didn’t process. So I was waiting by the mailbox and then got a email asking if I was going to pay for it. :-[ I am trying to get it done before I run out of weather in Ohio. But the wife and I are planning a ride on our other bikes to southern Ohio & West Virgina - so that is going to eat into my free time.
Here is the little guy next to my Monster - it seems so small!
and that oversized rear tire isn't so big looking here next to a 180 & 190 -
and there is a theme emerging, twin cylinders with dual pipes
I didn't get anywhere near what I had planned to do completed. I started to finish my basement, blew out my back, went on a 620 mile overnight trip on the ducatis, then my son got sick and then I got the worst flu that I have had in my adult life.
I had to pull the swingarm to grease it, pull the steering apart to lube the all ballz, pull the wheels to install the brake internals, install a chain, rebuild the petcock, and generally go through the bike from top to bottom.
For whatever reason, I could not get the petcock to not leak like crazy. I wound up using the one from my parts bike with the new gaskets in it. I had soda blasted the leaker so it looked great, the other one looks like crap, but will have to do for now.
I spent the better part of today messing with the clutch and trying to adjust it. I could not get it to work. After a few hours I realized the metal ball was missing on the cam - it was there when I put it together but must have dropped out when I pulled the cover to double check that I tightened up the countershaft sprocket when I put the chain on.
I finally got to ride it.
This is from a video my wife took in the street in front of our house. still no mirror, brake lights or plate.
It starts up easily, I have not had a chance to mess with the carbs much yet.
I have a few problems:
1) The carbs keep falling out of the intake manifolds. The clamps are as tight as I can get them, the stacks that I have weigh the same as a empty pop can so they are not weighing them down. Is there something that people do when they lose the airbox to better support the carbs?
2) The shifter keeps getting stuck under the brake pedal & foot peg. If I adjust the screw on the kick starter to make it real hard to pivot it in and out, it works OK, but that is a poor answer. I need a real fix.
3) The kick starter sometimes goes all the way down without turning over the motor. can something strip in the motor if the kick starter is in the down position and the motor running? What would cause it to not catch on one kick and then catch on the next?
Make a seat pad
Install a inner fender
install my LED tail light & plate
new controls (clutch & brake)
New head light bracket (shorter)
Heat guard on exhaust
install bar end mirrors
lose center stand
adjust carbs and brakes
polish top triple clamp & maybe rearsets
You can get brand new intake manifolds from Honda I was having the same problem. The lip on the carbs clips into a lip in the manifolds. My old ones were so hard that they wouldn't go all the way in. New did the trick tho!
The guy across the street from me owns a printing company. He made some up for me. all my biker friends kept asking if those were Ohlins shocks.
I think that I have the carb boots sorted. I just had to use a screw driver to move the clamps as close to the carb body as possible and they seem to be holding up. I have only done test rides in the neighborhood, but so far so good.