The Amalgam: honda past meets present, take 2! or 3?

jag767

Over 1,000 Posts
As I'm sure many of us here can testify, sometimes things unfold in a way where opportunities to pick up bikes/parts for a "too good to be true" price present themselves. This build starts along those lines. While going to look at a cx500 for a friend, in the corner of this guy's garage I spy a suzuki sv1000 front end, in really, really nice shape. After my friend haggles and ends up the with the cx, I then turn the gentleman's attention to the front end, which including everything but the controls and front wheel I pick up for $125. Later the same week, my luck continues. A guy I occasionally do business with has a cb450 he is willing to part out, and it just so happens I have a front end and wheels he wants off a cb360. On a barter, I get the engine, frame, and rear wheel.

So, at this point, being into a new project for $125 and a few dollars of gas, I figure why not start putting this thing together. I have no idea what direction I am going, other than I will absolutely go crazy on the motor once I thin my current herd, and I want to do something with a little more of a modern feel than I have done. The only thing I know for sure is I want to push myself out of my comfort zone as much as I can, but not so far from what I know I wind up with a pile that'll never get finished.

Here's where I am at:
 

Attachments

  • 20160516_194301_1464398682694.jpg
    20160516_194301_1464398682694.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 629
  • 20160527_170717_1464398683367.jpg
    20160527_170717_1464398683367.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 649
  • 20160527_170734.jpg
    20160527_170734.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 638
  • 20160527_170858_1464398683125.jpg
    20160527_170858_1464398683125.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 624
Re: The "I have no idea where this is going" Cb450 build

Nice, the front end looks like a good score.
 
Re: The "I have no idea where this is going" Cb450 build

So this just happened. 2014 Cb500x Throttle bodies with injectors, boots, and sensors for $60 on ebay. I've been talking about fuel injecting a bike for a while now, guess this will be the one. I think I can get all the components off ebay for close to the same price as a new set of carbs, jets, and dyno time. With the injection setup I will tune via the air fuel ratio with a wideband 02 sensor. Should be interesting. I guess this will be my challenge for the build!
 

Attachments

  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,269
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

Was able to source everything I think I need off ebay for $250. I may get a power commander for tuning purposes, but I have this wild idea that if I am able to set it up properly, the Damn thing may just run. It'll be bored to 500cc, compression will be similar, both are 180° cranks, the fuel is going through the stock pump, all the sensors will be there, and it's on the factory harness. The only grey area i see thus far will be the ignition.
 
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

So Honda was so much less than helpful with anything technical- You would have thought I was the first person to ask who I could speak with to turn their cb500x ecu system into a stand alone efi management system :eek: :eek:

That being said, the guys at power commander were immensely helpful. I figured out the ignition issues, as well as how to tune it. There's still a handful of sensors I am going to have to going to have to trick the ecu as reading as ok, but one thing at a time. I will need to buy a few of their products to make life a littler easier. Their autotune system will be a huge help for sure.

Looking more and more doable as I dig deeper ;D
 
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

Nastiness!!
 

Attachments

  • 20160602_090153.jpg
    20160602_090153.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 543
  • 20160602_090155.jpg
    20160602_090155.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 529
  • 20160602_090200.jpg
    20160602_090200.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 530
  • 20160602_090219.jpg
    20160602_090219.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 540
  • 20160602_090144.jpg
    20160602_090144.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 569
  • 20160602_090141.jpg
    20160602_090141.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 537
  • 20160602_090138.jpg
    20160602_090138.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 539
  • 20160602_090135.jpg
    20160602_090135.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 547
  • 20160602_090130.jpg
    20160602_090130.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 535
  • 20160601_104831.jpg
    20160601_104831.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 573
  • 20160601_104824.jpg
    20160601_104824.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 549
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

This torsion bar setup is funky man. Anyone know if once the bolt on the side is removed if you just tap out the bar? I've also read some people stating remove the valves first, others says after. Nothing like conflicting information.

Oh, and picked up a tank off ebay. Needs a little love but almost rust free.
 

Attachments

  • 20160604_102943.jpg
    20160604_102943.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 503
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

jag767 said:
This torsion bar setup is funky man. Anyone know if once the bolt on the side is removed if you just tap out the bar? I've also read some people stating remove the valves first, others says after. Nothing like conflicting information.

Oh, and picked up a tank off ebay. Needs a little love but almost rust free.
Subscribed!
Just tap the bar out once you remove the side bolts. There is not that much tension there. I've rebuilt the CB450 about 3 times, and it gets easier by the third time and I always learn something or an easier way to do things on these bikes.
 
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

xulf13 said:
Subscribed!
Just tap the bar out once you remove the side bolts. There is not that much tension there. I've rebuilt the CB450 about 3 times, and it gets easier by the third time and I always learn something or an easier way to do things on these bikes.

Perfect, you just became one of my best friends ;D

Seriously though, any questions I have I won't hesitate to ask. When I look at this head, it's like the knowledge of engine work I have learn goes right out the window lol.
 
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

Some of the best improvements I did on my cylinder head was to send it out to get upgraded valve guides so that I could use modern valve seals. There is a guy on eBay from Oregon who performs the work for you if you send him your head, he will also do a 3 angle valve job and can resurface your cam if need be. I had all this done to mine since I already had invested too much on my motor to not do this upgrade. Flugtechnik and I have made some of the same mistakes and learned from them and one another. He's helped me out a lot off line. You got a bunch of good guys here that can help you out of you let them. This place is like a knowledge portal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

xulf13 said:
Some of the best improvements I did on my cylinder head was to send it out to get upgraded valve guides so that I could use modern valve seals. There is a guy on eBay from Oregon who performs the work for you if you send him your head, he will also do a 3 angle valve job and can resurface your cam if need be. I had all this done to mine since I already had invested too much on my motor to not do this upgrade. Flugtechnik and I have made some of the same mistakes and learned from them and one another. He's helped me out a lot off line. You got a bunch of good guys here that can help you out of you let them. This place is like a knowledge portal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about running the conversion kit with springs, big bore, new cams, and im on the fence about doing the dry clutch with high output oil pump, but im not sure yet. I have to see how budget unfolds. Ive been talking with team hasen honda, and im really interested in the products they offer, particularly their pistons.
 
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

Very cool, but it can definitely get expensive quick! Ask me how I know :)
I guess it depends on your budget up front and your bottom line. It helps to have an end goal in mind also. This way you don't do things twice and spend twice as much.
I used oversize Wiseco pistons on mine which also had increased the compression to 10:1
fd59442df5bf78bb798bc138b4bc5693.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

xulf13 said:
Very cool, but it can definitely get expensive quick! Ask me how I know :)
I guess it depends on your budget up front and your bottom line. It helps to have an end goal in mind also. This way you don't do things twice and spend twice as much.
I used oversize Wiseco pistons on mine which also had increased the compression to 10:1
fd59442df5bf78bb798bc138b4bc5693.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 350f i didnt go nuts and the money pit was still deep lol. Yeah i saw those pistons, im looking at 11.5 :1 compression. Gonna be fun to kick over!
 
Re: Fuel injected Cb450 build

These

http://m.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB-450-CB450-FORGED-RACING-PISTON-BIG-BORE-74MM-/261475767673?nav=SEARCH
 
Back
Top Bottom