We noticed you are blocking ads. DO THE TON only works with community supporters. Most are active members of the site with small businesses. Please consider disabling your ad blocking tool and checking out the businesses that help keep our site up and free.
Seal fuel tank
Clean and paint
*clutch and brake lever?
*Rear block plate
Top off rear end oil
fab new gauge mount
figure out what I am going to do with the exhaust - High temp paint, wrap or buy new
Polish (or paint) triple trees and fork lowers.
Stuff to buy (some is wish list or will have to wait)
Front brake pressure switch
New pipes and H pipe?
Green LED for neutral light
Wire harness wrap
Getting close. I almost have the tank and fender ready for paint, but the weather is not looking good for painting anytime soon. Way to hot and humid. But I have a lot of other projects and assembly to keep me occupied.
I was thinking of going that route, but when I was looking for something off the shelf that would fit, I found that I really like the more modern eagle (but it looks a little Nazi WWII-ish with the green primer). Hope it doesn't have that look when painted on light blue in black paint.
BTW: it has been a pain to get those indents filed in and smooth. I just did the filler primer last night, so I am close to being ready to paint.
I have a combo of Tarozzi and DCC rearsets. Since there is not a kit that works on the drum brake, I have to make it myself. I just need to get it back together and buy some aluminum tube and some hemi joints.
Hagon shocks will probably be out of my budget. the guy I bought the bike from said he thought the shocks on it now were bad. I only rode the bike a few miles (in suburban traffic) so I couldn't tell. I was riding with no plates and the bike was so odd that I didn't have an opportunity to pay attention to them. I know I want to change them out regardless as they have plastic caps and look like crap.
Spent a lot of time cleaning up the rear wheel.
I degreased it and then used brass brushes and a brass wire wheel on the dremel.
Then decided to paint the hub. I didn't want to pull the wheel apart just to paint the hub as you really don't see much of it.
So I spent hours taping off spokes in 95+ degree heat.
In the end, it was worth it as it came out great. I used the same high temp engine paint that I used on the motor.
I spent the rest of the very hot weekend in the garage working on some front end parts.
I wanted to polish the forks and upper triple clamp, but that is going to take a lot longer then I want, so it will have to be a winter project. I want to get this on the road in August and start on my wife’s XS400 Brat build.
Since the forks and triple clamps were painted, it wasn’t going to be a big deal to paint them again. I cut off some unused tabs on the fork lowers and did a pretty good job of blending them in. I thought that I took more and better pictures, but I guess not. I will take some better pics of the finished forks.
BTW: I smoothed the forks a lot better then what is shown below. I did have one mark where I didn't stop correctly with the flapping wheel. instead of going lighter to blend, I just stopped and made a gouge mark that will probably not polish out. It isn't too visible with the paint.
Those iron rotors weigh a ton.
Was a little confuse on how to take them off. There were magnets for the speedo drive in the bolts, but it took me a while to figure that out and to figure out how to remove them. Hint - magnets are attracted to metal!