Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Some pictures later, but today I rode it. I did the first three points on the list above, bled the front brake and clutch, and rode it for about 20 feet in my driveway. Feels good, man.
 

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Just thinking about getting this registered. I will lay out the facts first, then what I think the next steps are. Please comment if I am wrong or if you have successfully done this before, I'd really like to hear from you.

The facts-
  • I bought a 2009 KTM 690 SM, with a valid MOT, and registered it in my name
  • I put that KTM on SORN
  • I bought a 1976 Honda CB550f frame
  • The frame has never been registered in the UK, had no plate, V5, or MOT history
  • I only have a bill of sale for the frame
  • I modified the frame to fit the KTM engine, forks, swingarm, and front and rear wheels
  • The bike is now fully built and should comply with all MOT requirements
This is what I think -
  • I can't use the CB550 vin because I have heavily modified the frame
  • I will have to get a Q plate
  • The bike will need an MSVA inspection
This is what I think needs to happen next-
  • Apply to the DVLA for a new vin
  • Stamp or affix that vin to the frame
  • Schedule an MSVA appointment and pass the test
  • Apply for a new Q plate with the DVLA
  • Insure the bike with an insurer that does Q plates
Really unsure of all that. Do you need insurance before getting the Q plate? Everything seems a little chicken/egg. I've love to hear from someone who has done it.
 

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Front fender mount! I made the stay from 6mm bright mild steel, using the 3 in 1 bending and shear tool that I acquired last year. It worked pretty well, but 6mm is definitely at it's top limit. Both stays still need some work and welding. The rear stay has an additional support that attaches to the calliper mount bolt to help steady the whole thing.
 

Attachments

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
The tank was in bare metal, as you may have noticed, and needed some primer to keep it from rusting. This paint job is to try out proof of concept only, will not be going with spray paint, or these colours necessarily. I was going for the CB350 scheme, see last two pictures. I may try and paint the forks in the body colour as in the last picture, but unsure of that. The paint would have to be masked where it goes in the clamps.
 

Attachments

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
i really like what you've got going with the paint there. (well the whole project really)

as if my vote would count, it would be against doing the forks in the body color, but thats just me
 

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Fender stays all welded up and installed. Tig brazed the cylindrical bosses to the 6mm rod, worked pretty well. As always, the last one you do is better than the first one, so I should have started with the rear stays because they are less visible. Still pretty happy with the result. I will paint the stays for now, but would like to chrome them later.
 

Attachments

Jimbonaut

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
Beautifully fabricated mate, lovely work. These things are subjective of course but I think it would look even better snugged up closer to the tire, but that's just me.
 

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Beautifully fabricated mate, lovely work. These things are subjective of course but I think it would look even better snugged up closer to the tire, but that's just me.
Hi Jimbo,
Agreed, but the only fender I could find was for a 17/18" wheel, and it seems to be biased towards the 18" end. I could get it closer but it would look like the picture below, so I kept it off the tire some.
 

Attachments

Jimbonaut

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
Ah, that makes perfect sense. Either way, it looks great. What you've done with this/these bike(s) is really remarkable!
 

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Rear brake pedal. It was a little bit of trouble to find a place for the stop and return spring. I wanted a threaded adjustable stop, but could not really find a place for it so I just made it non-adjustable. I did put two holes for the return spring, the upper one is fine. I will remove the lower one some other time. Note that I had to remove some material from the lever arm to get the pedal to sit at the right height.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Installed threaded inserts into the frame rail to hold the acetal seat stop supports. I had made these on the lathe some time ago and finally got around to installing.
 

Attachments

goodoltup

Been Around the Block
Put some temp paint on it, and finished it up. The rear brake is complete.
The brake action is VERY firm, the pedal barely moves. This is because the lever acting on the master is too long. When I get it out on the road we'll see how it feels, I expect that it will be very touchy. This may need a total rethink when the bike gets torn down for paint.
 

Attachments

DTT Bike Of The Month Gallery

DTT Light or Dark

japan.webike.net
shop.themotoworks.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com
www.speedmotoco.com
www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
www.lostapostle.ca/
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom